Junior guard Pat Healy scored a game-high 28 points to lead the Hobart College basketball team to an 85-81 season-opening win at St. John Fisher University tonight.
Healy, who was 8-of-13 shooting, matched his career-high with five 3-pointers and went 7-of-8 at the free throw line. He was joined in double figures by classmate Aidan Rodgers and first-year Alex Moesch, who logged 16 points apiece. Rodgers also notched game-highs with six assists and four steals. Moesch was lights out, making 5-of-8 from the floor, including 3-of-5 from beyond the arc.
The Cardinals also put three players in double digits led by Brendan McRoy’s 21 points. Dan Cook added 17 points and Jack Foley chipped in 11.
- Hobart shot 40% from 3-point range, making 10-of-25 from deep. St. John Fisher was just 4-of-13.
- The Statesmen also had a significant advantage at the charity stripe, making more free throws (21) than the Cardinals attempted (13).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- St. John Fisher led for most of the first half, but wasn’t able to stretch its advantage to more than five points.
- The Cardinals were clinging to a 23-21 lead with under eight minutes remaining in the first half.
- Healy put Hobart in the lead for good with a 3-pointer that kick-started a 33-16 run spanning the first and second halves.
- Healy drove the surge, scoring 17 points.
- The Statesmen led 46-37 at halftime.
- Healy opened the second half scoring with a dunk,
- Three minutes into the final frame, Hobart led 54-39, its largest lead of the night.
- The Cardinals responded with a 12-0 run that made it a one-possession game, but the home team was never able to regain the lead.
- In the final minute, Hobart was 7-of-9 at the free throw line to close out the victory.
“It’s always nice to start the season with a win. Our focus before the game was being 1-0. We got contributions from many guys at key times throughout the 40 minutes. Overall, I thought our preparation and execution were sharp and helped us prevail tonight.”
— Hobart Head Coach Stefan Thompson
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Hobart’s win at St. John Fisher was the program’s first in Manning & Napier Gym since 2009. The home team had won each of the past seven meetings.
- The Statesmen improved to 3-1 against the Cardinals under Coach Thompson.
- Hobart will play its home opener Saturday, Nov. 11, when the Statesmen welcome Morrisville State to Bristol Gymnasium. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.