Some new details have emerged following an assault at the Clyde-Savannah High School on Tuesday. The assault prompted the cancellation of the varsity football team’s semi-final match-up on Friday, as well as a swell of media attention late in the week.
The incident, captured on video Tuesday, involved several football team members and has led to disciplinary actions, according to Superintendent Michael Hayden. The Clyde Police Department is seeking assistance in obtaining footage of the altercation, which has shifted community focus from the team’s impressive 8-0 season to a matter of serious concern.
The small, closely-knit community of Clyde-Savannah has been shaken by the events leading to the sudden halt of what had been a historic football season. The team was set to play in the semifinals against Marcus Whitman/Bloomfield in the Wayne-Finger Lakes Independent Football League playoffs.
Amidst the investigation, parents have voiced criticism of the district’s handling of the situation, calling for changes to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Superintendent Hayden’s latest communication reassured families that the district’s priority is the safety and well-being of students and staff while collaborating with law enforcement.
The Clyde Police Department is urging anyone with information or video evidence of the incident to come forward and contact them directly at the provided phone numbers.
Original: Police, Clyde-Savannah school investigates alleged attack involving several football players
Officials in the Clyde-Savannah Central School District say law enforcement is investigating after an incident involving members of the varsity football team.
“I am writing to address an incident involving several members of our Varsity Football team, which has led to disciplinary actions. While we understand the community’s concerns and desire for information, we must emphasize that, due to an ongoing investigation and the confidentiality of student matters, we are unable to divulge specific details regarding the situation,” Superintendent Michael Hayden said in a letter to parents and community.
The letter goes on to point out that school officials are working closely with law enforcement to address the matter ‘appropriately’.
Due to the incident, the varsity football team will not be able to participate in an upcoming semifinal game that was scheduled for Friday night. “This turn of events marks an untimely end to what has been a historic season for our team,” Hayden continued.
“It is imperative to reinforce our district’s expectation that all students adhere to the established code of conduct. The values of responsibility, respect, and ethical behavior are fundamental to our community. While we understand the disappointment and frustration this situation will cause, we want to reiterate our commitment to maintaining a safe and supportive environment for all students and staff.”
A parent in the district, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the incident involved an alleged assault that happened on district property. They alleged that multiple students assaulted a younger student. The alleged assault was apparently recorded on a smartphone and shared among students before police were ultimately notified.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].