Skip to content
Home » Wayne County » Clyde » First responders work quickly after gas leak detected near popular downtown Clyde restaurant

First responders work quickly after gas leak detected near popular downtown Clyde restaurant

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

A gas leak in a commercial building triggered an emergency response from the Clyde Fire Department early Friday morning.

DiSanto Propane (Billboard)

At approximately 5:34 a.m. on October 27, firefighters, along with Car 2-1, were called to the scene after reports of a gas odor. Using sophisticated detection equipment, the rescue team confirmed elevated levels of gas inside the structure.

Once the presence of gas was established, the incident commander on scene requested New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG) to investigate further.

NYSEG technicians, working jointly with the fire department’s rescue personnel, located the source of the leak coming from a service line underground, infiltrating the building through its walls. As a precautionary measure, NYSEG decided to shut off gas supply to the building to ensure public safety.

In an effort to mitigate any potential hazards, NYSEG workers drilled holes in the sidewalk to release gas pressure and ventilate the ground.

Meanwhile, the area was cordoned off and the building was aired out by fire department crews. After ensuring the scene was stable and safe, control was handed over to NYSEG and all fire department units returned to service.