Three different Statesmen scored as the Hobart College soccer team rallied to defeat St. Lawrence University 3-2 in a Liberty League matchup on Cozzens Field. With the win, the Statesmen move to 10-5-2 overall and 7-1-1 in the Liberty League and were crowned the Liberty League regular season champions for the first time since 2017, earning the No. 1 seed heading into the conference tournament.
With the loss, the Saints fall to 7-5-4 overall with a 5-3-1 mark in conference play and earned the No. 4 seed in the post season.
Junior Frederick Madsen contributed to all three of Hobarts goals and led the Statesmen with four points on one goal and two assists. Madsen now sits at a team-leading 17 points on seven goals and three assists and has tallied at least one point in six of the last seven games for Hobart.
Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in goal for the Statesmen and made one save. Ben Woelfinger played 90 minutes in net for the Saints and made three saves.
- Hobart finished the game with a 15-6 advantage in shots, including a 7-3 edge in shots on goal.
- The Statesmen and the Saints earned three corner kicks each.
- Hobart opened the scoring in the 21st minute after a spell of possession. Sophomore Quinn Phillips slipped a ball to a cutting Madsen who sent a rocket off the inside of the left post from 20 yards out that found the back of the net giving the Statesmen the early lead.
- The Saints responded in the 39th minute after being awarded a free kick 20 yards out. Michael McDougald sent a curling shot into the bottom right corner of the goal to tie the game at 1-1.
- Nine minutes into the second half St. Lawrence grabbed its only lead of the game. After a turnover, Castaneda Chang pulled down a Saint forward in the box and St. Lawrence was awarded a penalty shot. Henry Brown slipped his penalty past Castaneda Chang inside the right post to give the Saints a 2-1 lead.
- Six minutes later the Statesmen responded to tie the game at 2-2. Madsen dished a pass back to first-year La Zai Outerbridge who curled a shot into the upper corner of the far post.
- Hobart grabbed the lead back at the 74:30 mark after a long cross from Madsen found the head of graduate student Amad Miller. Miller’s header beat Woelfinger at the near post to secure the victory for the Statesmen.
“Today was an incredibly competitive and entertaining game between two very evenly matched teams,” said Head Coach Shawn Griffin. “The goals that were scored were incredible today. I’m so proud of how hard our guys battled from the start to the finish. Liberty League regular season champions is quite an accomplishment, but we now have our sights set on winning the post season tournament that starts next Friday. I’m super proud of these guys.”
Hobart will be back in action Friday, Nov. 3, in the Liberty League semifinal round on Cozzens Field. The Statesmen will play the winner of fourth-seeded St. Lawrence and fifth-seeded RPI.