The William Smith College ice hockey team was edged by Oswego State 2-1 in a non-conference contest at the Deborah F. Stanely Arena this afternoon.
Kayla Ketchabaw scored for the Herons (0-2-0). Annie Hauser played just under 59 minutes in goal. She made 30 saves.
Mack Hull led the way for Oswego with a goal and an assist. Hannah Skavnak started in goal and made 17 saves.
- Hull opened the scoring at the 14:16 mark of the first period with a power-play goal. She collected her own rebound in the slot and flipped a shot past Hauser. Her first goal of the season was unassisted.
- The Lakers (2-0-0) took a 2-0 lead at the 6:30 mark of the second period. Ashlyn McGrath redirected a Hull shot past Hauser. It was McGrath’s second goal of the season. Simone Bednarik collected a secondary assist on the tally.
- Twenty-seven seconds later, Kayla Ketchabaw broke up the shutout bid. She collected a pass from first-year Laine Heiser, skated into the slot and snapped a shot that trickled through Skvanak’s legs and into the back of the net.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Oswego finished the game with a 32-18 edge in shots on goal
- William Smith was 0-for-2 on the power play and the Lakers were 1-for-4 with the extra attacker.
William Smith will be back in action next weekend, Nov. 3-4, when it begins New England Hockey Conference play. The Herons travel to Northfield, Vermont, to take on Norwich. Faceoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.