Junior Frederick Madsen scored twice as the Hobart College soccer team knocked off Bard College 3-2 this afternoon in a Liberty League contest on Cozzens Field. With the win, the Statesmen move to 8-5-2 overall and remain atop the conference standings with a 6-1-1 record in Liberty League play. The Raptors fall to 5-6-2 overall with a 0-6-2 mark in the conference.
Madsen scored twice for Hobart including the game-winning goal, while graduate student Amad Miller recorded the third goal for the Statesmen. Graduate student Nolan Fierro tallied two assists on the afternoon, while graduate student Chris Friedlander chipped in one. Fierro leads the team with five assists this season.
Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in net for Hobart and didn’t record a save in the win. He is now 8-2-1 on the season.
Gavin Hersey was forced to make two stops through 90 minutes of play for Bard, allowing three goals in the loss.
- Madsen opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. Friedlander slotted a ball through two Raptor defenders to Madsen making a diagonal run. Madsen took one touch and fired a left footed shot through the legs of the challenging Raptor goalie to give Hobart a 1-0 lead.
- Bard responded with just over four minutes remaining in the first half when Mateo Betelu intercepted a pass around the half field mark. Betelu looked up and saw Canstaneda Chang off his line and fired a shot from about 40 yards out into the open net to tie the game at 1-1.
- The Statesmen came out firing to start the second half and regained their lead in the 59th minute. Fierro stole the ball at half field and slotted the ball down the flank to a running Miller. Miller slotted his shot near post past the keeper to grab a 2-1 lead.
- Less than two minutes later, Madsen would strike again. Fierro found the ball in Hobarts attacking third and slipped a pass to Madsen at the top of the box. Madsen took one touch and ripped a shot to the near post, beating Hersey for the second time of the day.
- Bard responded with 10 minutes left in regulation as Cole Ewalt sent in a cross to Betelu from 30 yards out. Betelu beat his defender to the ball and took a touch off of an onrushing Canstaneda Chang. The ball deflected off of Canstaneda Chang’s hand but found its way into the back of the net for Betelu’s second of the game.
- Deep into the second half, Bard tried possessing the ball and sent a pass back to its keeper. Madsen applied pressure and blocked the goalie’s clear attempt. The ball deflected off of Madsen and landed just wide of the open goal.
- In the 75th minute Bard had a golden chance to score again after Robbie Boyd’s header opportunity hit the cross bar. The Hobart defense was there to clear the rebound away.
- Hobart held a 10-6 advantage in shots, including a 5-2 edge in shots on target.
- The Statesmen recorded 10 corner kicks in the contest compared to the Raptors zero.
Hobart will be back in action on Tuesday, Oct. 24, when it welcomes Buffalo State in a nonconference matchup on Cozzens Field. Action between the Statesmen and the Bengals is set for 4 p.m.