Hobart College senior running back Tim Denham Jr. scored a pair of touchdowns, but nationally ranked Ithaca College made enough big plays to secure a 24-14 win over the Statesmen.
Denham rushed 15 times for 62 yards and the game’s first touchdown. It was his 28th career rushing touchdown, moving him into sole possession of ninth place on Hobart’s all-time list. Denham also caught two passes for 14 yards, including a 4-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown. He now has 34 career touchdowns, tied for eighth with Doug Blakowski ’07.
- Total Offense: Ithaca 355, Hobart 322
- Passing: Hobart 159, Ithaca 137
- Rushing: Ithaca 218, Hobart 163
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first quarter, Hobart got on the board first as Denham capped an impressive 17-play, 99-yard drive with a 4-yard run into the end zone. On the TD run, Denham took the initial handoff to the left but cut back to the right and found daylight to the end zone.
- Ithaca countered with a 13-play, 75-yard drive, tying the game on an 8-yard pass from graduate student quarterback AJ Wingfield to senior wide receiver Sam Kline.
- The Bombers took a 14-7 lead into halftime after a Hobart miscue. Facing a fourth-and-5 at their own 30, the Statesmen snapped the ball over junior punter Tobias Wefering’s head. Ithaca was able to recover the loose ball in the end zone for a touchdown.
- In the third quarter, the Bombers blocked Hobart’s 30-yard field goal attempt and then converted a 20-yard field goal to stretch their lead to 17-7 late in the third quarter.
- Denham caught a 4-yard jump pass from Colombi with 9:31 remaining in the game to pull the Statesmen within a field goal.
- On Ithaca’s ensuing drive, senior running back Jalen Leonard-Osbourne broke free for a 79-yard touchdown run to complete the day’s scoring with just over eight minutes remaining.
- The Bombers defense stopped Hobart on a fourth down play on its next drive and the offense was able to run out the clock from there.
STATESMEN OF NOTE
- Junior quarterback Johnny Colombi was 15-of-28 passing for 159 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed nine times for 50 yards.
- Sophomore wide receiver Ahmad Crowell caught three passes for a team-high 51 yards. Senior wide receiver Chris Bartosic added three catches for 42 yards and junior wide receiver Rane Daramola pulled in a team-high five passes for 39 yards.
- Junior linebacker Anthony Romano registered a team-high 13 tackles. Junior linebacker Jaimen Bliss added eight tackles. Junior defensive end Alex Karpawich chipped in six tackles, including both of Hobart’s tackles for loss.
- Wingfield completed 13 passes for 137 yards and a touchdown. He was picked off once (by sophomore Mekhi Rodgers).
- Leonard-Osbourne rushed 22 times for 155 yards and a TD.
- Kline finished with six catches for a game-high 73 yards and a TD.
- Graduate student linebacker Ben Stola recorded 17 tackles, 3.5 for loss, a sack and recovered a fumble.
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart 3-1, 0-1 Liberty League
- Ithaca 3-1, 1-0 Liberty League
- Hobart returns home to host Buffalo State at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 7.