William Smith College forward Julia DiMenna’s goal in the 84th minute lifted the fourth-ranked Herons to a 1-0 victory over Ithaca in a Liberty League contest on Cozzens Field this afternoon. With the victory, William Smith is now 5-0-3 overall with a 1-0-2 mark in conference play.
Kirsten Nelson played all 90 minutes in goal and made one save as she earned her second shutout of the season.
Grace Hickey played all 90 minutes in goal for the Bombers (5-2-2, 0-1-0).
- DiMenna headed home the game-winning tally off a Katrine Berg free kick. DiMenna flicked the ball over a charging Hickey. After it cleared the Ithaca goalie, the ball bounced six yards into the empty cage. It was DiMenna’s team-leading fourth goal of the season.
- The Herons had the game’s first chance in the third minute. Emma Faso fired a shot from the top of the 18-yard box that was punched over the crossbar.
- At the 12-minute mark, Ava Ruppersberger had a shot smothered by Hickey.
- Ally Stanton had a golden chance in the 27th minute, but Nelson made a stop on the shot.
SECOND HALF CHANCES
- In the 56th minute, Berg had a shot from the left post blocked by an Ithaca defender. Faso’s rebound attempt just missed the left post.
- Ithaca’s best chance of the game came in the 78th minute. Kaelyn Fernandez fired a shot from just outside the 18-yard box that just sailed over the crossbar.
- In the 82nd minute, Ruth Hotaling chipped a shot on goal from the left side of the 18-yard box that was smothered by the Ithaca goalie.
- William Smith finished the contest with a 14-6 advantage in shots, including a 10-2 edge in the second half.
- The Herons had all five of the game’s corner kicks.
- Today’s win snapped a streak of four consecutive ties in Liberty League play for William Smith.
William Smith concludes its three-game homestand on Saturday, Sept. 30, when it welcomes 20th-ranked Clarkson to Cozzens Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.