The Hobart College soccer team was defeated by the fourth-ranked University of Mary Washington 2-1 in a non-conference contest at Homewood Field this afternoon. The Statesmen are now 1-2-0 on the season.
Graduate student Ry Cohen played all 90 minutes in goal for the Statesmen. He made seven saves in his first collegiate start. James Durkin scored Hobart’s goal.
Two different players scored for the Eagles (3-0-0). Fred Rogers started in goal and made two saves as he earned the win.
- Mary Washington opened the scoring in the 13th minute. Josh Kirkland picked up a loose ball near the penalty spot and chipped a shot past Cohen for his second goal of the year. Carter Berg was awarded an assist on the goal.
- Hobart tied the game seven minutes later. Durkin one-timed a pass from Quinn Phillips into the back of the net. It was his first collegiate goal.
- Elyass Fekrat scored the game-winning goal in the 68th minute off a feed from Diego Guzman.
- In the 82nd minute, Nolan Fierro thought he had tied the game on a rebound attempt, but his goal was waved off because he was offsides.
- In the final minute, Fierro headed a crossing pass from Amad Miller just over the crossbar.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Mary Washington finished the game with an 18-9 advantage in shots.
- The Eagles also had a slight 6-5 edge in corner kicks.
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Sept. 10, when they wrap up the 2023 Blue Jay Invitational against seventh-ranked Johns Hopkins. The game is scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m.