After multiple legal actions and appeals, the town of Victor held a public meeting on Monday to discuss plans to acquire the vacant Lord & Taylor space in Eastview Mall using eminent domain. The town would condemn the 8-acre parcel and its 90,000-square-foot building, which has been empty since February 2021.
Victor Town Supervisor Jack Marren said the town had authorized the commencement of condemnation proceedings, with a public hearing held to consider the acquisition and redevelopment project. The town had previously attempted to claim the property, owned by Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC), but the NY Court of Appeals ruled against it due to insufficiently specific plans to justify eminent domain.
Now, with more detailed plans, the town aims to redevelop the property, with Wilmorite, the mall’s developer close to securing new tenants. Marren said the redevelopment project would serve the public interest and help revitalize the mall.
Under the proposed redevelopment plan, the town and Wilmorite would split the space as follows: 50,000 sq. ft. for an eco-friendly home goods and clothing retailer, 32,000 sq. ft. for a family-owned grocery store, and 11,000 sq. ft. for municipal use by Victor, subject to a town board vote on its specific purpose.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]