A tragic incident in Chemung County has resulted in one death and multiple hospitalizations due to carbon monoxide exposure. On the evening of January 20th, 2023, emergency responders were called to a home on Charles Street in the Town of Southport for a medical emergency. When they arrived, they found five adults suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
All five victims were transported to Arnot Ogden Medical Center for treatment. However, the homeowner, 58-year-old Richard Keyser, later passed away as a result of his exposure to the toxic gas.
An investigation by the fire department revealed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the residence, and a gas-powered generator was found running in the bathroom, providing electricity to the home. Further investigation revealed that the residence had been condemned and posted by the Town of Southport Code Enforcement Office in July 2022, and it is believed that the residents were staying there illegally, according to WETM-TV.
The cause of the incident is under investigation, but it serves as a reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure and the importance of following regulations regarding condemned properties. At the time of release, there was no information provided on the status of the other victims.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].