The William Smith College hockey team was defeated by Castleton, 4-1, in a New England Hockey Conference contest at Spartan Arena Friday evening. With the loss, the Herons fall to 5-5-1 overall on the season and 3-4-0 in the conference play. The Spartans are now 5-4-0 overall with a 3-2-0 record in the NEHC.
Annie Hauser played all 60 minutes in goal and made 21 saves. Katherine Campoli (2a), Darby Palisi (1g, 1a), and Brooke Greenwood (1g, 1a) had multi-point games for Castleton. Kristen DiCicco made 25 saves in 60 minutes of work for the Spartans.
- William Smith finished the game with a slight 26-25 edge in shots on goal.
- The Spartans were 1-for-2 on the power play and the Herons were 0-for-4 with the extra skater.
- William Smith opened the scoring at the 6:36 mark of the opening period. Sydney Foster jumped on a rebound and chipped the loose puck past DiCicco. Her first goal of the season was assisted by Emily Cataldo.
- Castleton tied the game three minutes later. Meg Aiken blasted a shot past Hauser. Her first goal of the season was assisted by Ellie Schliebenner and Amanda Vaugh.
- Emily Harris scored the game-winning goal at the 12:20 mark of the middle frame. She redirected a shot from Katherine Campoli past Hauser for her second goal of the season. Moa Carlsson also had an assist on the goal.
- Castleton’s defense smothered William Smith’s offense, finishing the stanza with seven blocked shots.
- The Spartans put the game out of reach with a pair of goals late in the final frame.
- Palisi poked home a rebound for her fifth goal of the year. Campoli and Greenwood were awarded assists on the goal.
- Just over a minute later, Greenwood added a goal of her own. The power-play goal was assisted by Samantha Lawler and Palisi.
William Smith will be back in action Saturday, when it heads to Plymouth, New Hampshire, to take on Plymouth State. Faceoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.