Senior forward Jackson Meshanic tipped in a rebound with 12 seconds remaining to give the Hobart College basketball team a 73-72 lead over nationally-ranked University of Rochester and the Statesmen held on for the non-conference victory on Tuesday night.
Meshanic produced game-highs of 24 points, nine rebounds and four assists. He was 11-of-18 shooting and 2-of-4 at the line. Sophomore forward Carter Meshanic joined him in double digits, contributing 15 points, including a 5-of-8 effort from the field. Senior forward Patrick Walker and sophomore forward Hunter Meshanic tossed in eight and seven points, respectively. Graduate student forward Evan Goldbergpulled down eight rebounds to go with six points.
The Yellowjackets were led by a pair of 17-point nights from senior guard Ross Gang and graduate student forward Ryan Algier. Gang also paced UR with seven rebounds, while Algier added six. Junior guard Matt Wiele also reached double figures with 10 points.
- Hobart enjoyed a 35-33 edge on the glass, but Rochester had a 12-11 lead in second chance points.
- Hobart outscored Rochester 50-42 in the paint.
- The Statesmen shot 50.8% from the floor, but just 47.6% at the free throw line.
- The Yellowjackets shot 46.6% from the floor and 70% from the free throw line.
- Nine minutes into the game, Hobart led 16-11, but Rochester came charging back, using a 19-6 run to take a 30-22 lead. Gang and Algier both scored five points during the surge.
- Hobart closed the half on a 13-5 run that tied the game at 35 going into the locker room. Jackson and Carter Meshanic both had four points in the run for the Statesmen.
- Hobart led for most of the second half and never trailed by more than two.
- The Statesmen led by four as the clock ticked under one minute remaining. Gang got to the free throw line and made both to halve his team’s deficit.
- Rochester then used a full court press to force a turnover. Gang converted a traditional 3-point play with 30 seconds to go for a 1-point lead.
- On Hobart’s offensive end, Walker put up a short jumper that was off the mark, but Jackson Meshanic was there to tip it home and give Hobart the lead.
- Jackson Meshanic then tied up Algier on an inbounds pass for a jump ball with seven seconds to go, giving the Statesmen possession.
- Hobart turned the ball over under pressure one more and Gang launched a 3-pointer that was off the mark. They were awarded the ball out of bounds after it went out off the Statesmen with 0.5 seconds left, but UR wasn’t able to get off another shot before time expired.
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart improved to 3-0 on its home floor and 4-2 overall.
- Rochester suffered its first loss of the season to fall to 5-1.
- The Statesmen will be back in Bristol Gym Tuesday, November 29, when they take on Keuka College.