The Hobart College basketball team opened Liberty League play with a 95-67 victory over visiting Skidmore College in Bristol Gym on Saturday afternoon. The Statesmen were led by senior Jackson Meshanic’s 34 points, 14 rebounds, and five assists.
Meshanic matched his career-high in the points column on 11-of-13 shooting, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range and a perfect 7-for-7 at the free throw line. He also matched his season-highs for rebounds and assists. Meshanic’s brothers, sophomores Carter and Hunter, also hit double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Senior Patrick Walker added 14 points and five assists and sophomore Aidan Rodgerschipped in nine points and five assists.
Skidmore had three players in double digits led by senior Tautvydas Kupstas’ 21 points.
- Hobart shot 58.3% from the floor for the game, including 63.3% in the first half.
- The Statesmen dominated the boards, outrebounding the Thoroughbreds 43-17.
- In the first minute of play, Skidmore got out to a 4-1 lead.
- Jackson Meshanic tied the game at 4 with his first 3-pointer, launching the Statesmen on a 17-0 run.
- Hobart was 4-for-4 from beyond the arc and 4-of-5 at the line during the two and a half minute scoring surge. Jackson Meshanicaccounted for 11 points as the Statesmen raced out to a 14-point lead.
- When the dust settled, the Statesmen led 18-4.
KEEPING THE PRESSURE ON
- Midway through the first half, Hobart led 32-21 and over the next five minutes used a 17-8 run to stretch its lead to 20.
- Jackson Meshanic led the charge with six points, while Walker and Hunter Meshanic each added four points.
FOR THE RECORD
- Skidmore suffered its first loss of the year, dropping to 2-1 overall and 0-1 in conference.
- Hobart improved to 3-2 overall, 1-0 in the league.
- The Statesmen will square off with the University of Rochester at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22 in Bristol Gym.