The Hobart College football team exploded for 35 points in the second quarter on the way to a 63-7 Liberty League win at Buffalo State College on Saturday afternoon. It’s the most points the Statesmen have scored in a quarter since 1997.
- Hobart scored four touchdowns in a span of just three minutes late in the first half to break the game wide open.
- Near the midway point of the second quarter, Hobart led 14-0 and had second-and-goal from the 2. Tim Denham Jr. got the handoff and scored his team-leading 10th touchdown (9th rushing).
- On the second play of the Bengals’ ensuing drive, cornerback James Mahoney intercepted quarterback Tom Delgado and returned it 24 yards for a touchdown.
- On its next drive, Buffalo State turned the ball over on downs deep in its own territory. Hobart needed just three plays to extend its lead, with Rayshawn Boswell crossing the goal line on a 7-yard run.
- Forty-seven seconds later, linebacker Anthony Romano picked off Delgado and went 30 yards for a touchdown.
- With just 2:59 run off the game clock, the Statesmen turned a 14-0 lead into a 42-0 advantage.
- Hobart tacked on a fifth, second-quarter touchdown on a 23-yard pass from quarterback David Krewson to sophomore Peyton Cayeawith 34 seconds left in the half for a 49-0 halftime lead.
IT’S BEEN A WHILE
- The 35-point second quarter marked the first time Hobart had scored that many points in a quarter since Oct. 25, 1997, when the Statesmen scored 35 points in the third quarter of a 58-19 win at Alfred.
- Placekicker Tobias Wefering broke the Hobart game record for PATs made. He went 9-for-9. The previous mark was eight shared by six different Statesmen, including Wefering, who went 8-for-9 earlier this season at Keystone.
CLOSE BUT NOT QUITE
- Free safety Zac Ambielli scored Hobart’s eighth touchdown of the day, scooping up a fumble at the Hobart 7 and running it back 93 yards for a 56-0 lead through three quarters. It was 5 yards short of the Statesmen record for longest fumble return (98 by Jayson Prince, Sept. 2, 2017, vs. Brockport).
- Rushing: Boswell 5 carries, 70 yds, 2 TDs
- Passing: Krewson 10-14-0, 186 yds, TD
- Receiving: Boswell 2 rec, 32 yds
- Tackles: Linebacker Drew Walsh 8, 2.0 FLT
“We were pleased to see the team focused and ready for a strong start. The defense performed very well, turning their offense over and scoring points directly, extending the lead in the first half. Special teams helped win the field position, and the offense was able to capitalize on most of the possessions in the first half.” –Head Coach Kevin DeWall ’00
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart improved to 6-3 overall, 3-2 in the Liberty League. The win clinched the Statesmen’s 14th consecutive winning season.
- Buffalo State fell to 0-9, 0-5.
- Hobart will wrap up the regular season at home, hosting the University of Rochester on November 12. Prior to the 1 p.m. kickoff, the Statesmen will honor the Class of 2023.