The Hobart College soccer team and Vassar played to a 1-1 tie at Gordon Field on Saturday afternoon, earning both teams a crucial point in the Liberty League standings. The Statesmen are now 7-3-5 overall and 3-1-4 in the Liberty League. The Brewers are 7-3-4 overall with a 3-0-4 mark in conference play.
Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in goal for Hobart and made one save. Eric Wnorowski also made one save in 90 minutes of action in the Vassar goal.
- Both teams finished the game with 13 shots. Vassar held a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Hobart is unbeaten in its last five games.
- Hobart finished the first half with a 6-2 edge in shots.
- In the 37th minute, Nolan Fierro nearly opened the scoring, but his header shot was stopped by Eric Wnoroski.
- Vassar took a 1-0 lead in the 44th minute. Diego Pastor-Valverde chipped a shot past the Hobart goalie. It was his first collegiate goal.
- The Brewers held an 11-7 advantage in shots in the second half.
- In the 61st minute, Fierro fired a free kick-off of the crossbar and his follow-up attempt was blocked.
- Amad Miller tied the game with his second goal of the season. He converted a penalty kick in the 73rd minute.
“Today’s game was a fair result for both sides,” Head Coach Shawn Griffin said. “It had a playoff-level intensity and atmosphere. In a roundabout way, picking up a point in the Liberty League on the road can be a win in its own way. I am excited for our next opponent.”
- With a point each in today’s match, Vassar and Hobart remain in a tie for second place in the conference standings with 13 points each. The final Liberty League playoff spots will come down to the final weekend of the season. After St. Lawrence, the next six teams are separated by four points.
- The Liberty League regular season ends next Saturday, Oct. 29. The Statesmen will be at league-leading St. Lawrence to conclude the regular season.
Hobart will take on Buffalo State on Tuesday, October 25, to conclude the non-conference portion of its schedule. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.