The fifth-ranked William Smith College soccer team and Vassar College played to a 0-0 draw in a Liberty League game on Cozzens Field Saturday afternoon. The Herons are now 11-1-3 overall this season with a 6-0-2 mark in conference play. The Brewers are now 7-4-4 overall with a 3-2-2 mark in conference play.
Kirsten Nelson played all 90 minutes in goal and made two saves as she earned the shutout. Teresa Zimmer played all 90 minutes in the Vassar goal and made one save.
- William Smith finished the game with a 12-7 advantage in shots.
- The Herons had all six of the game’s corner kicks.
- William Smith dominated the first half, posting an 8-2 edge in shots on goal.
- In the ninth minute, Shayna Straney’s shot from just outside the 18-yard box went over the crossbar.
- Ruth Hotaling had a shot that just trickled wide of the right goalpost.
- The Brewers had a pair of long-distance shots in the first half smothered by Nelson.
- The teams traded chances in the second half with Vassar having a slight 5-4 edge in shots.
- Ava Ruppersberger had William Smith’s best chance in the second half. In the 70th minute, her shot from the left corner of the 18-yard box trickled just wide of the right goal post.
- The Herons had a golden scoring chance late in the second half, but nothing materialized from the free kick.
- With today’s tie, the Herons now have 20 points on the season. William Smith can finish no lower than second in the conference standings. The Herons can clinch the regular season title with a win over St. Lawrence or if Ithaca fails to win one of its final two games.
- The regular season ends next Saturday, October 29, The Herons host the Saints at 2 p.m.