The Hobart College soccer team scored a pair of goals in the second half as the Statesmen rallied to defeat Utica University, 2-1, at Pioneer Field on Tuesday afternoon. With the win, the Statesmen are now 7-3-4 on the season.
Quinn Phillips and Connor Koschineg scored for Hobart. Christian Burkhart played all 90 minutes in goal and made a career-high six saves. Foti Xidias played all 90 minutes in goal for the Pioneers (7-5-1) and made nine saves.
- Hobart finished the game with a 15-14 edge in shots and a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- The Statesmen have won four straight games and are now 35-1-0 all-time against Utica.
- The teams traded opportunities in the first five minutes of the game. In the second minute, Amad Miller had a shot stopped by Xidias.
- In the fourth minute, Burkhart made a diving save on Noah Nassberg.
- The Pioneers opened the scoring in the 10th minute. Byamungu Mugushu opened the scoring. He slipped a shot past a charging Burkhart for his seventh goal of the season.
- In the 42nd minute, Mugushu nearly scored a second goal, but his attempt was smothered by Burkhart.
- Utica finished the opening 45 minutes with a 6-3 edge in shots.
- In the second half, Hobart completely flipped the game, outshooting the Pioneers 12-8.
- The Statesmen tied the game in the 60th minute. Phillips buried a penalty kick for his third goal of the season.
- Koschineg scored the game-winning goal in the 85th minute. He collected a loose ball in front of the cage and chipped a shot past the goalie. It was his third goal of the season.
“It was important for us to play well this afternoon after such a challenging Liberty League weekend,” Head Coach Shawn Griffin said. “The guys responded well and our focus now is on Vassar and a crucial Liberty League game.”
Hobart will be back in action on Saturday, October 22, when it heads to Poughkeepsie, New York, to take on the Brewers. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.