Five different players scored a goal as the fifth-ranked William Smith College soccer team cruised to a 5-0 victory over Union in a Liberty League contest on College Park Field Friday afternoon. With their sixth straight victory, the Herons are now 10-1-2 overall his season with a 5-0-1 record in Liberty League play.
Julia DiMenna finished the contest with a game-high three points on a goal and an assist. Kirsten Nelson and Amanda Kesler each played 45 minutes in the William Smith goal. Abby Mitty and Rachel Berliner split the minutes in goal for Union (8-3-1, 2-2-1). They combined to make 13 saves.
- The Herons dominated the box score, outshooting the Dutchwomen 26-1. William Smith also had a 10-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- The Herons have won the last 18 meetings against Union. It was William Smith’s eighth consecutive shutout.
- The Herons opened the scoring in the seventh minute. Katrine Berg chipped a shot from inside the six-yard box into the upper right corner of the cage. DiMenna had an assist on Berg’s fifth goal of the year.
- In the 20th minute, DiMenna extended the lead to two goals. She buried a Shayna Straney cross for her fifth goal of the season.
- William Smith had all 13 shots in the second half.
- Ava Ruppersberger extended the Herons’ lead to three goals. She fired a penalty kick past Berliner for her fifth goal of the year.
- In the 64th minute, Ruth Hotaling beat Berliner for her second goal of the year.
- Maggie Speckhart wrapped up the scoring in the 81st minute. She blasted a shot from 20 yards out past the Union goalie for her first collegiate goal.
The Herons will conclude its four-game road trip tomorrow, October 15, when it takes on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.