SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y.—The William Smith College soccer team played to a 1-1 tie at Skidmore College this afternoon. The result ended the Herons’ 12-match winning streak over the Thoroughbreds, but extended William Smith’s unbeaten streak against their league rival to 30 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Herons took the lead in the seventh minute when Shayna Straney played a bending cross from the top left of the back toward the back post. Emma Faso beat her defender and the goalie to the ball and drove it home for her third goal of the season.
- Skidmore advanced the restart into the Herons’ penalty area. A Thoroughbred was spun around by a William Smith player, drawing a PK. Kyra Russman-Araya drove her shot inside the right post to tie the game.
- William Smith finished with a 20-6 advantage in shots and a 9-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Skidmore goalie Claire Wolgast preserved the tie with 14 saves.
- Heron keeper Amanda Kesler made two stops.
William Smith will travel to Ithaca for a rematch of the 2021 Liberty League Championship. The Herons and Bombers will renew their rivalry at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 28.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]