GENEVA, N.Y.—The William Smith College field hockey team cruised to a 7-0 win over Keuka College Wednesday evening at McCooey Field. Leading the way for the Herons was graduate student Emily Leonard with four goals on the night, bringing her goal count to eight on the season. Junior goalie Kristen McCormick led the Herons defense playing all 60 minutes and recording one save.
- Just 6:29 into the game, the Herons opened the scoring with Leonard finishing off a pass from sophomore Rebecca Mantione.
- Just under 10 minutes later, Leonard would strike again, this time coming from a penalty stroke.
- At 24:41, senior Molly Dutton recorded her first goal of the night off an assist from junior Skyler Hauser.
- In the 27th minute of the game, the Herons would score twice in the span of 21 seconds with goals coming from Mantione and Dutton recording her second of the night.
- Leonard would get her name in the scorebook again in the 35th minute as she beat the Wolves goalie for the third time. Mantione was credited with the assist, which would be her second of the night and fifth of the season.
- Less than four minutes later, Leonard would close out the scoring off an assist from junior Sofia Pattillo. Leonard’s fourth goal of the game ties her with the school record for most goals in a game.
“Those four goals wouldn’t have been scored without the efforts of every single one of my teammates,” Leonard said. “I am so honored to be in the William Smith record book with the past and present Heron legends, but this season is just getting started and I’m looking forward to our next game on Saturday against Cortland.”
“Tonight we were very focused on our possession game and angles of attack,” Head Coach Sophie Riskie ’07 said. ” We generated some great give and go passing and many scoring opportunities. It was an exciting night with Emily tying the Heron scoring record. We saw great contributions from all players and an exciting defensive save from Emma Carter in the final minutes.
William Smith will host SUNY Cortland in a nonconference showdown on Saturday at 12 p.m. at McCooey field.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]