ONEONTA, N.Y.—The Hobart College soccer team scored a pair of goals in the first half as it knocked off Hartwick 2-0 in the opening game of the Mayor’s Cup. With the win, Hobart is now 2-0-1 on the season.
Quinn Phillips and Frederick Madsen scored in the victory for the Statesmen. Guillermo Castaneda Chang and Christian Burkhart split time in goal. Aden Razukiewicz and Jackson Gilstrap shared time in goal for the Hawks (1-2-1), combining for four saves.
- Hobart applied pressure on Hartwick right from the opening whistle. Nolan Fierro had the game’s first shot, but his attempt was stopped by Gilstrap.
- Phillips gave Hobart a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute. He turned his defender and chipped a shot into the back of the net. Brian Sheehan notched an assist on the goal. It was Phillips’ second goal of the season.
- Jake Zona nearly tied the game but his shot was stopped by Castaneda Chang.
- Frederick Madsen gave the Statesmen a 2-0 lead in the 34th minute. His first goal of the season was assisted by Connor Koschineg.
- Both teams had three shots n the second half.
- The Hawks had a dangerous opportunity in the 86th minute, but Zona’s header went over the crossbar.
- At the opposite end of the pitch, Sam Lescher nearly gave the Statesmen a 3-0 lead, but his header attempt was stopped by Razukiwicz.
- Hobart finished the game with a 10-8 edge in shots.
- Hartwick had all seven corner kicks in the contest.
“A great win against a well-coached, hard-working Hartwick team,” Head Coach Shawn Griffin said. ‘They defended well and didn’t give us much in terms of corners or free kicks. We are thrilled that Quinn and Freddie scored goals today. They both came from good passing combinations. We’ll enjoy this win tonight and are excited for tomorrow’s challenge against Oneonta.”
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Sept. 11, when it takes on Oneonta at Red Dragon Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.