COLONIE, N.Y.—The fifth-ranked William Smith College soccer team cruised to an 8-0 victory over the University of Saint Joseph in its season opener at Afrim’s SportsPlex this afternoon. Eight different players scored a goal in the victory.
Emma Faso and Ella Reish led the way with a goal and an assist each. Amanda Kesler and Kirsten Nelson each played 45 minutes in goal. Chandler Douglas played all 90 minutes in goal for the University of Saint Joseph and made three saves.
- Seneca Blakely-Armitage opened the scoring in the 14th minute. Her shot from the right side trickled through the Blue Jays’ goalie’s legs.
- Julia DiMenna doubled the Herons’ total in the 32nd minute collecting a rebound in the 18-yard box and burying a shot in the back of the net.
- Three minutes later, Faso scored on a breakaway. Reish broke up a pass near midfield and hit Faso with a leading pass.
- Reish made it 4-0 in the 37th minute heading home a shot from the top of the box.
- Taylor Ashe rounded out the first half firing home a shot into the lower left corner of the cage.
- In the 56th minute, Marissa Mastracco headed home a corner kick from Ruth Hotaling.
- Ava Ruppersberger made it a seven-goal lead, carrying the ball down the left.
- Katrine Berg rounded out the scoring, bending home a corner kick.
- William Smith outshot USJ 23-0 and held a 13-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- DiMenna, Reish, Mastracco and Ashe all scored their first collegiate goals.
“We played against a team that was outnumbered but was brave and fought the fight to the end,” Head Coach Aliceann Wilber said. “I think we grew into the game in terms of executing concepts we’ve been working on. It’s exciting to see the scoring spread out. We had a lot of creativeness in our build especially for the first game out. It’s a great opportunity for everyone to get out there and its promising for the year ahead.”
William Smith will open up the home portion of its schedule on Sunday, Sept. 4, when it welcomes No. 15 Carnegie Mellon to Cozzens Field. The game is scheduled to begin at noon.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]