In this episode, we talk with Christine Pullen and Kate Ott with the Ontario County Department of Public Health about getting kids vaccinated for school.
We discussed what first-time parents of school-age kids should know, which vaccines are needed when, and what to do if you don’t have a family doctor.
We also talked about whether they have seen any vaccine reluctance among parents in the wake of the national debate about the COVID-19 vaccine and got an update on what New Yorkers should know about Monkeypox and Polio.
Important school immunization information
Within 14 days of the first day of school or day care, parents must:
- Show proof of their child’s up-to-date vaccinations, OR
- Provide a valid medical exemption from vaccination.
In order to attend or remain in school or day care, children who are unvaccinated or overdue must receive at least the first dose of all required vaccines within the first 14 days. They also must plan to receive all follow-up doses at the ages and intervals (time between doses) listed in the recommended vaccination schedule.
Vaccines required for day care, pre-K, and school attendance
- Diphtheria and Tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and Pertussis vaccine (DTaP or Tdap)
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine (MMR)
- Polio vaccine
- Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine
Additional vaccines required for middle school and high school
- Tdap vaccine for Grades 6-12
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY) for Grades 7-12
- Students in Grade 12 need an additional booster dose of MenACWY on or after their 16th birthday
Additional vaccines required for day care and pre-K
- Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (HiB)
- Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine (PCV)
Ted is a longtime staple of the Finger Lakes media scene. He serves as lead anchor and broadcaster, hosting FingerLakes1.com’s flagship daily live program Finger Lakes Today. He also hosts Inside the FLX, a recurring podcast featuring newsmakers from around the Finger Lakes. Have a question or lead? Send it to email@example.com.