In this episode, we visited with Cayuga County Sheriff Brian Schenck.
- The Sheriff appeared before a county legislature committee to discuss adding a School Resource Officer in the Moravia School District.
- June was a busy month, with over 1,700 calls for service. We talked about the work of the 9-1-1 dispatchers who handle many of those calls.
- We discussed the Supreme Court’s rejection of New York’s concealed carry restrictions and the gun debate raging across the country. The Sheriff says law enforcement should have a greater voice in crafting gun laws and he says the focus should not be on restricting the rights of legal gun owners. He says very few gun crimes are committed by owners of legally registered weapons.
- We talked about the marine patrol. Four boats patrol Owasco and Cayuga Lakes and Lake Ontario, with a focus on educating boaters on safe operation.
- The department is instituting a state-mandated Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) program for jail inmates with addictions.
- The department is looking to hire both part-time security officers for the County Courthouse and other county buildings and full-time Deputies. The deadline to apply for the full-time slots is August 3.
- The department will host a medication take-back event on July 27 at the Cato Fire Department from 4-6 p.m.