Millions of Americans rely on Social Security benefits each month, so knowing how to apply beforehand is important.
There are some basic things to know before you apply for benefits.
Here are some basics about Social Security benefits from the SSA
First, you will want to understand the basic things.
You can start collecting benefits as young as 62, or as old as age 70.
You should know what age to apply will work best for you, because the age you choose impacts how much you receive each month.
The biggest things you should further educate yourself on include
- How you’ll qualify for benefits
- How your age and what you make impact Social Security benefits
- What to think about when deciding to start benefits
- Your spouses and family members retirement benefits
The process for applying for Social Security benefits
- Collect all information and documents needed
- Submit your application after fully completing it
- Wait for the SSA to review your application
- Receive your decision letter
- Start your benefits
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]