There are senior discounts available at several restaurants nationwide.
Senior discounts date back to the 1930s.
$850 stimulus payment: Who can apply?
Why are there senior discounts?
Senior discounts came about during the Depression. Older Americans were not as well off as other citizens. High costs wiped out everyone’s savings and left many seniors living in poverty with little disposable income. Although this may not be the case any longer, many seniors are on a fixed income after they retire. The discounts just stuck as they started to build customer loyalty. Read more about it here.
The discounts are not mandatory and will vary based on location and participating restaurants. Both seniors and AARP members will likely find perks though.
What restaurants have a discount?
- Applebees’s: participating restaurants offer 10-15% off
- Bonefish Grill: AARP members can receive 10% off
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: AARP members will receive 10% off their entire meal
- Chili’s: 10% senior discount for people 55 and older
- Dairy Queen: 10% off for seniors
- Dunkin’: AARP members receive a free donut with the purchase of a large or extra-large beverage at participating restaurants
- IHOP: discounted senior menu for people 55 and older
- McDonald’s: Seniors get discounts on coffee every day, and the qualifying age is usually 55
- Outback Steakhouse: AARP members will receive 10% off of a meal
- Wendy’s: Most locations provide 10% off or a discounted drink price
Global wheat production: Will our food exports be impacted by the Russia-Ukraine conflict?
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]