County Health Official Emphasizes the Importance of Personal Protection and Vaccinations as COVID Cases rise again in the Region “Cases of COVID-19 are increasing locally in and around Wayne County”, said Wayne County Public Health Director, Diane Devlin, RN, BSN, MS this morning. Wayne County Public Health staff is monitoring the number of daily cases and hospitalizations due to COVID-19 among our residents. Our current rate of community transmission is Low according to the CDC, however we expect a change in our local status when the CDC updates its community risk data this Thursday. Cases have doubled in the Finger Lakes region and in Wayne County over the last two weeks. We anticipate cases will continue to rise as we enter the Easter holiday weekend where families are expected to gather. In addition, many families will be returning from spring break travel where they may have been exposed to COVID-19.
We feel it is necessary at this time to communicate with the public so our residents are aware of the upward trend in COVID-19 cases and therefore can make the informed decisions regarding the best way to protect themselves and their families. Wayne County Public Health officials urge residents to take the following actions to protect themselves from COVID-19.
Everyone 5 years and older should get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against COVID-19.
People who are not up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines and children under 5 years old who are not able to get a COVID-19 vaccine should continue taking steps to prevent getting sick.
- If you are eligible for a booster, get boosted.
- If you are 50 and over, you may be at increased risk for serious illness, consider getting a 2nd COVID-19 Booster dose if eligible.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, get tested.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, stay home from work or school for at least 5 days.
- If you test positive and are at high risk of serious illness from COVID-19, treatment may be available. Contact your healthcare provider.
- If you are at increased risk for complications due to COVID-19 or are unvaccinated or under vaccinated, consider wearing a mask in public places.
Wayne County Public Health offers free COVID-19 vaccinations every Thursday for its residents at the Wayne County Health Services Building located at 1519 Nye Road in Lyons from 10-Noon and 2:00-4:00 pm. Email us at [email protected] or call us at (315) 946-5749 to schedule an appointment. Positive home test results should be reported, to report go here and click on COVID-19 Home Test Reporting.
Thank you for you continued vigilance and for taking these actions to help keep our communities healthy and safe.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]