The Livingston County Board of Supervisors has proclaimed April as Fair Housing Month in Livingston County.
This month marks the 54th anniversary of the federal Fair Housing Act, which prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on color, race, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, and disability. During this month and throughout the year, Livingston County is dedicated to the goal of fair housing opportunities for all members of the community, said Livingston County Department of Social Services Commissioner Tracy McCaughey.
“This month highlights ongoing fair housing enforcement efforts by raising community awareness of fair housing rights, resources available and the importance of ending housing discrimination,” she said.
The Livingston County Department of Social Services has shared some possible signs of housing discrimination. They include:
- A refusal to sell, rent or show available housing
- A statement that the dwelling is not right for your family
- The dwelling has an “available” sign, but you are told it is not available
- Steering to certain communities or neighborhoods based on race, ethnic compositions, or familial status
- Terms or availability change between a phone contact and an in-person visit
- You are not contacted after acceptance of your application • An unreasonable refusal to provide a mortgage loan or home owners insurance News from Livingston County, N.Y.
- You are harassed or intimidated
If you think you have been a victim of housing discrimination:
- Write down names of individuals, companies, addresses, phone numbers, dates, times, and any witnesses involved.
- Make notes of conversations or incidents that might indicate that discrimination occurred
- Keep copies of advertising, letters, material, or other information
- If you know a person of a different national origin, race, religion, disability, or opposite sex who received a different answer or treatment than you, make a note of their name and address
- Follow this link to file a complaint
Local fair housing resources:
- HUD regional Office: 1-800-496-4294
- Livingston County Fair Housing Officer: 585-243-7300
For an overview of the Fair Housing Act, please visit here.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].