If you’ve lost your Social Security card, there are ways for you to get a new one to replace the lost one.
Your Social Security number important for things like employment, loans, and government programs or services.
Keep your card in a safe location you won’t forget.
Social Security card replacement online
You may get a card replacement in some circumstances online using your My Social Security account.
You can apply for a replacement if you meet the following criteria
- You’re 18 and older
- A U.S. citizen
- Have a mailing address
- Not changing a name or anything on your card
- Have a driver’s license from the states participating in the online service
There are a few states and territories that this service isn’t available in and they include
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia
- American Samoa
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- Virgin Islands
How to replace your Social Security card online
You need documentation to prove identity for a replacement card.
- Birth certificate or passport for citizenship or age
- Hospital birth record, or religious birth record for age
- Driver’s license, state issued ID card, passport, employee ID card, school ID card, military ID card, or healthcare card for identity
Other ways to get a replacement Social Security card
Not everyone can apply online, and many states and territories still don’t allow it.
You may print out an application and bring it with all documentation to your local Social Security Administration office.
It takes ten to fourteen business days for you to get your card once it’s been processed.
The fastest way to get your application processed is to do it online.