Many Americans become disabled on the job and end up suffering a loss of income. This may be when they decide to look into SSDI.
SSDI stands for Social Security Disability Income.
But how do you know if you qualify for this benefit?
Qualifying for SSDI
In order to qualify, you need to have worked long enough for jobs that you’ve paid Social Security tax with.
Normally the amount of time is ten years.
To qualify for disability, you must have some type of medical condition. It must be defined as a disability with Social Security.
A disability is defined by Social Security as something that means the following
- You cannot work and engage id substantial gainful activity due to your condition
- The work you previously did you can no longer do due to your condition
- The condition you suffer lasted or is expected to last for at least one year, or result in your death
Monthly SSDI benefits are paid to people that can’t work if they meet these conditions.
The disability must make it so you cannot work considering age, education, and experience.
If you believe you are eligible, you can apply online.
Advantages to applying for SSDI online
- You may start your claim for disability ASAP and are not required to wait for an appointment
- Applying can be done from home or any computer
- You don’t need to go to the Social Security office