Skip to content
Home » Valentine's Day » IRS: Three free tax filing options

IRS: Three free tax filing options

Tax season is here, and now Americans need to figure out they want to file their tax returns with the IRS.

Tax return form in front of a bright yellow background that needs to be submitted to the IRS for a tax refund

For many people, free filing options are the best choice, so it’s important to know what’s out there.

By using a free service, you can save some money.

You may need to qualify for a free service, but it’s a good idea to review all your options since many have changed this year.

CreditKarma used to be free, and no longer is.

IRS: When is the IRS accepting returns for 2022?

Here are three free filing services that can be used to file tax returns with the IRS

IRS Free File

The IRS offers qualifying Americans an option to file for free through their website.

In order to qualify, you need to make below $72,000.

The IRS offers services through software and companies they partner up with on their website.

Turbo Tax used to be free, but it is not an option through the IRS this year.

If you make over $72,000 you can still use the free electronic forms, but you have to do it yourself and do not get the same guidance.

IRS: Avoid these issues when filing tax returns

Private services

There are some tax companies that will offer free services if you need basic or simple taxes filed.

H&R Block will not charge an extra free for state tax preparation.

At their free level, they also offer help with retirement income, earned income tax credit, and child tax credit.

If your return becomes more complex then you will start incurring fees.

IRS: Tips for submitting tax returns next week

Inuit, owner of Turbo Tax

Intuit is offering free simple tax returns.

This is good for those with W-2 forms.

If you’ve used this service before, it will easily carry over last year’s information so you do not need to fill it all out again.

There are a few things that will disqualify you from using their free service

  • Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment on a 1099-G
  • 1099-NEC
  • Stock sales
  • Income from a rental property
  • Credits reported on Schedules 1-3
Categories: News