Skip to content
Home » Valentine's Day » Chief Passalacqua: Juvenile in custody after shooting threat at Geneva High School

Chief Passalacqua: Juvenile in custody after shooting threat at Geneva High School

Around 5:30 p.m. police provided an update on the shooting threat at Geneva High School.

They called it an ‘intensive investigation’ and reported that one person was in custody. However, due to age and juvenile status – the individual was not being identified.

The Geneva Police Department says they’re working with the Ontario County District Attorney’s Office.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the men and women of all Law Enforcement Agencies involved in today’s response including the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office, Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, Yates County Sheriff’s Office and the New York State Police,” Chief Passalacqua said. “I am extremely proud of the coordinated, calm and professional response by all agencies involved given the nature of the threat. The agencies involved worked together seamlessly to ensure the safety of all students and faculty in the school building. I would also like to thank Dr. Davis and her entire staff for their coordination with Law Enforcement during this incident”.

School officials respond to shooting threat, say police investigation underway

Officials provided a third update on the threat that prompted lockdown at Geneva High School.

According to Heather Swanson, around 10 a.m. a threat of a shooting was made by phone to the high school. The building was immediately placed in lockdown and the Geneva Police Department responded.

Deputies from the Ontario and Seneca County Sheriff’s Offices and New York State Police also assisted at the school.

School administrators and staff conducted a bag and locker search. By 12 p.m. no threat to students or staff was found, the lockdown was lifted. However, a lockout remained in place until around 1:15 p.m.

Swanson said in an update that the lockout allowed supervised movement and instruction within the building while maintaining a secure perimeter. Police gave the all clear to lift the lockout at approximately 1:15 p.m.

“Police have identified a person of interest and the investigation is ongoing. Further updates will come from the Geneva Police Department,” the district said in a statement. “We’d like to thank all of our staff, students and families for their patience and support. The safety of our students and staff is our number one priority, and we will continue to be vigilant.”