As mother nature turns down the thermostat, our team recognizes some site specific cold weather behaviors such as slowing down be it on foot or driving. There are many snow & ice safety tips that are constant no matter at work, home or play:
– Use proper clothing and footwear.
– Walk like a penguin.
– Use sufficiently treaded & inflated tires when driving.
– Use a light touch on acceleration and braking.
– Understand your vehicle braking capacity and brake early.
– Leave extra room for maneuvering.
– Be on alert for black ice conditions.
And most of all, slow down. The posted speed limits do not apply with snowy & icy road conditions. Braking ability, maneuverability and visibility are often reduced. Speed kills and we all want to get home safe.
Have a letter to the editor, op-ed, or other piece of content you’d like to see published on FingerLakes1.com? We’re here to help! Submit it to [email protected] with your contact information and we’ll publish it in our new ‘Community Voices’ section.