Skip to content
Auburn Auto Group (banner)
Home » Chance The Rapper » Hobart falls to Union in overtime, 27-20

Hobart falls to Union in overtime, 27-20

Hobart College kicker Rob DiGregorio booted a 24-yard field goal with six seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime, but nationally-ranked Union College got a 2-yard touchdown run by Ike Irabor to start overtime and the Dutchmen defense stopped the Statesmen a foot short on a fourth-and-2 play to secure a 27-20 Liberty League win.

Box score

The final statistics were virtually even. Both teams had 370 yards of offense, both were 5-of-17 on third down, both were 2-for-3 on field goal attempts and both came up with one interception. The tide turned in Union’s favor in penalties and on fourth down. Hobart was flagged 11 times for 105 yards compared to five penalties for 39 yards against the Dutchmen. Union was 4-of-5 on fourth down, while the Statesmen went 2-of-3 with the one miss at the most critical juncture in overtime.

Hobart quarterback David Krewson completed 13-of-27 pass attempts for a career-high 228 yards on the day. He was also the Statesmen’s leading rusher, picking up 59 yards on 14 carries. Wide receiver James Miele caught two passes for a team-high 98 yards and wide receiver Alex LaBella caught a team-high four passes for 69 yards. Linebacker Bryan Aguilar made a game- and career-high 17 tackles.

Union quarterback William Bellamy was 9-of-25 passing for 203 yards, but seven of his nine completions were to Andre Ross for 175 yards and a touchdown. Irabor rushed for a game-high 121 yards and two touchdowns. Colin Lama led the Dutchmen defense with 14 tackles.

Union (8-0, 4-0) made the mistake of sending the opening kickoff to Rayshawn Boswell, who broke free for an 80-yard return before getting pushed out of bounds at the Union 15. The game’s first penalty proved costly as a false start turned a third-and-3 into a third-and-eight. Krewson was tackled for no gain on the ensuing play and Hobart had to line up to try a field goal. The 29-yard attempt was blocked by Jimaar Edwards.

Later in the first quarter, Union failed on a chance to take the lead, missing a 31-yard field attempt.

The Dutchmen responded with consecutive scoring drives, taking the lead on a 15-yard Irabor touchdown run in the first minute of the second quarter and extending its advantage to 10-0 on a 26-yard Andrew Lau field goal midway through the frame.

Hobart countered the field goal with a long, time-consuming drive. The Statesmen ran 13 plays to gain 81 yards and drain 7:04 off the game clock. Boswell capped the drive with a 4-yard TD run, his league-leading 15th TD of the season. The extra point made it a 10-7 game going into halftime.

The teams traded field goals in the third quarter with DiGregorio tying the game at 10 with a season-long 43-yarder and Lau easing the home team back in front with a 34-yarder with about two minutes left in the quarter.

Hobart took its only lead of the game with a six-play, 67-yard drive that spanned the third and fourth quarters. Krewson completed a 52-yard pass to Miele for the big play of the drive. It is Hobart’s longest pass play of the season. On the second play of the fourth quarter, Krewson called his own number for a 10-yard touchdown run and a 17-13 lead.

Union used a big pass play of its own to retake the lead. Bellamy connected with Ross for a 66-yard touchdown. The Dutchmen led 20-17 with just over 12 minutes left in regulation.

With about five minutes to go, Krewson was intercepted at the Union 42 by Austin St. Pierre. His 22-yard return gave Union’s offense great starting field position at the Hobart 36. Facing a fourth-and-6 from the 32, the Dutchmen opted to go for it rather than attempt a 49-yard field goal. Bellamy scrambled for 4 yards, two short of the line to gain.

With 3:06 left, Krewson and the Statesmen took three minutes off the clock while advancing to the Union 7 before DiGregorio made his second 3-pointer of the day to necessitate OT.

In overtime, Union got the ball first and might have settled for a field goal attempt after an incompletion on third-and-4 from the nine, but a pass interference penalty against Hobart gave the Dutchmen an automatic first down at the 2. Irabor took the ball into the end zone on the next play for a 27-20 lead.

The Statesmen picked up a first down on their OT possession when Krewson ran for 8 and then 4 yards. After picking up 7 yards on the next three plays, Hobart faced fourth-and-3 from the 6. Krewson ran over the left side of the line to try to get another first down, but Connor Fitzgerald and St. Pierre combined to stop him a foot short.

The Statesmen will return to Boswell Field to host Buffalo State (0-8, 0-4) on Saturday, Nov. 6.