A deadly bacteria was found in an aromatherapy product sold at Walmart. Four cases of a rare bacterial illness could be linked to the Better Homes & Gardens spray.
Two people are dead after the highly uncommon bacterial infection spawned from the room spray sold at Walmart superstores across the U.S.
The cases were diagnosed this year in four states – including Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas.
One of the individuals who died was a child, officials said.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that Walmart, which sold the product, “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstone,” is recalling nearly 4,000 bottles.
What is the bacteria in the room spray at Walmart?
It’s called Burkholderia pseudomallei. Federal health officials are testing products found in homes of three patients who have developed the bacterial illness.
Patty Davis, a CPSC spokesperson, said the agency is very concerned about the dangerous bacterial exposure.
“CPSC immediately reached out to Walmart to work with the company to get this product out of consumers hands,” Davis said. “We want to prevent anyone else from being sickened or from dying.”
How rare is this bacteria found in the Walmart room spray?
It’s exceptionally rare in the U.S. Around a dozen cases are diagnosed each year. Usually they’re diagnosed in people who traveled overseas.
In this case, none of those who developed the bacterial infection traveled outside the U.S.
The CDC was also involved in the investigation into the products.
The bacteria can be aerosolized, which means it can be inhaled.
Anyone who has the room spray should not open it and return it to Walmart.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]