Skip to content
Home » Chance The Rapper » Hobart rallies late for 17-13 win over St. Lawrence

Hobart rallies late for 17-13 win over St. Lawrence

Quarterback David Krewson threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Alex LaBella with 44.9 seconds remaining to lift the Hobart College football team to a 17-13 Liberty League win over St. Lawrence University on Boswell Field this afternoon. The Statesmen improved to 6-1 overall, 2-1 in the conference, while the Saints slipped to 3-4, 0-3.

Box score

Hobart outgained St. Lawrence 360-321 in total offense, but was called for 10 penalties that cost 95 yards. The Statesmen also finished minus-1 in turnover margin.

Running back Rayshawn Boswell posted his second straight 100-yard rushing day, posting 120 yards, including a 64-yard first quarter touchdown. He also caught two passes for 32 yards, including a 36-yard screen pass on the game-winning drive. Krewson was 11-of-28 passing for 155 yards and a touchdown. LaBella caught a team-high three passes for 16 yards. Linebacker Bryan Aguilar made a game-high 11 tackles for the Statesmen. Defensive back Blake Hansen returned a second quarter interception 24 yards.

The Saints got 209 passing yards from backup quarterback Daniel Lawther, who was sent into the game after starter Tyler Grochot was injured while trying to scramble for a first down on a fourth-and-five play during SLU’s first possession. Lawther also had a team-high 40 yards rushing. Wide receiver TJ Cornacchia caught five passes for 55 yards. Wide receiver Andrew Murphy caught four passes for a game-high 71 yards. Linebacker Jacob Dreisbach made a team-high nine tackles. Safeties Ryan Watson and Owen O’Brien each made an interception.

Hobart got off to a bumpy start, as Krewson was intercepted by Watson on the third play from scrimmage. The Statesmen then misses a 47-yard field goal try on their second possession. Facing a three-and-out on its third possession, Hobart opted to go for it on fourth-and-one from its own 36. The gamble paid off in a big way, as Boswell flew through the line untouched and outraced the secondary to the end zone for his league-leading 14th touchdown.

The Statesmen padded their lead midway through the second quarter on a 40-yard field goal by Rob DiGregorio.

After losing Grochot on their opening drive, the Saints went three-and-out on four straight possessions. Late in the second quarter, St. Lawrence finally got its first first down of the game on their final drive of the half, but Hansen picked off Lawther to end the drive.

At the half, Hobart led 10-0, outrushed SLU 168-12 and had eight first downs to two for the Saints. Boswell had 105 yards rushing on just nine carries after 30 minutes.

The Statesmen struggled in the second half, seeing a 10-0 halftime lead evaporate.

Lawther completed his first three passes of the third quarter, including a 46-yard bomb to Murphy to set SLU up at the Hobart 5. Hobart’s defense kept the Saints out of the end zone, forcing the visitors to settle for a 27-yard Ian Doin field goal.

Read more about the game from