Skip to content
DiSanto Propane (Banner)
Home » Chance The Rapper » Syracuse Mets split doubleheader with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders

Syracuse Mets split doubleheader with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders

  • / Updated:
  • Kyle Evans 

The Syracuse Mets split a doubleheader with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on Friday night at PNC Field with the RailRider’s winning the resumption of Wednesday’s game, 5-3, before the Mets won the second game, 7-3. Khalil Lee and David Thompson both had three RBIs in the second game for the Mets.

Game one was the resumption of Wednesday night’s game that was postponed because of an electrical issue that affected part of the lights at the stadium. On Wednesday, Syracuse (48-70-1) struck first with a run in the top of the first inning. After Albert Almora Jr. hit a leadoff single, Mark Vientos and Khalil Lee both flied out. With two outs, Brandon Drury doubled to right-center field to score Almora Jr. and give Syracuse a 1-0 lead.

The Mets added to their advantage In the top of the second. Chase Sisco and Wilfredo Tovar led off with singles. Thompson then grounded out, but Sisco and Tovar moved to second and third base on the play. Drew Jackson followed with a groundout to third base, scoring Sisco and giving the Mets a 2-0 edge.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (69-50) got on the board in the bottom of the second. Donny Sands and Oswaldo Cabrera led off with singles. After Ryan LaMarre grounded into a fielder’s choice, Greg Allen provided a one-run single to score Sands and bring Scranton/Wilkes-Barre within one, 2-1 Syracuse.

The RailRiders came all the way back in the bottom of the fourth. With two outs, Cabera singled with nobody on base. Then, LaMarre hit a go-ahead, two-run home run to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 3-2 lead. Allen followed with a single, and then with Rob Brantly at the plate, Allen stole second base and then third base. Brantly then hit an RBI double to extend the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre lead to two, 4-2.

The lights on the left side of the ballpark went out once at the end of the fourth inning and again with two outs in the top of the fifth. The game was suspended until Friday night.

On Friday, the game picked up with Mark Vientos at the plate with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Vientos homered on the second pitch he saw to cut the deficit to one, 4-3 with the RailRiders still in front.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre regained its two-run edge in the seventh. With two outs, Oswald Peraza hit a solo home run, giving the RailRiders a 5-3 advantage, which was the final score.

Game two was scoreless through the first three innings before Syracuse got on the board in the fourth. With two outs, Brandon Drury reached base on a throwing error by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre shortstop Oswald Peraza. Cheslor Cuthbert then worked a walk to put runners on first and second base. Thompson followed with a three-run home run to give the Mets a 3-0 lead.

The Mets added another two-out run in the fifth. Martin Cervenka led off with a double and moved to third base on a Wilfredo Tovar groundout. After a strikeout, Vientos walked, putting runners on the corners. Lee then reached on an infield single, scoring Cervenka to make it a 4-0 ballgame.

In the top of the sixth, Cuthbert led off with a solo home run, his team-leading 16th homer of the season, as the Mets took a 5-0 lead.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre scored its first runs in the bottom of the sixth. With one out, Estevan Florial was hit by a pitch. After Chris Gittens struck out, Cabrera hit a two-run home run, trimming the Mets lead to three, 5-2.

Syracuse responded in the top of the seventh. Mason Williams led off with a walk. Two batters later, Lee crushed a two-run home run over the right-field wall to give the Mets a five-run advantage once again, 7-2.

The RailRiders scored a run in the bottom of the seventh on a Miguel Andújar RBI single, but that’s as close as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre got as Syracuse won the second game, 7-3.