Too much screen time is harmful to our eye health. These screens emit blue light that interacts with our eyes and brain. It causes eye strain and irritation. Moreover, the constant movement of the screen affects the focus of our eyes. All the negative factors give rise to many serious eye health-related issues, both in children and adults.
Certain changes in the methods of screen use can easily detain these side effects and help keep your eyes in good health. One easy way is using blue-light-blocking glasses. These glasses protect your eyes from the deteriorating effects of extended screen time. If you wear prescription glasses, you can get the prescription lens replacement with blue-light-blocking prescription lenses. Many famous brands like Overnight Glasses, Eye Buy Direct, Warby Parker, Zenni Optical are providing such services.
Side Effects of Screen Time
Some side effects of prolonged screen time include:
- Eye Exhaustion: Too much screen time causes fatigued eyes. Blue light emitted by the screen may cause frequent headaches and concentration issues.
- Irritated Eyes: Dry and irritated eyes are common when staring at a screen for too long. This condition may lead to blurry vision if not cured early.
- Depletion of Focus: Prolonged use of screens like smartphones, laptops, and other handheld gadgets puts an extra burden on the muscles that help the eye to focus.
- Possible Retina Damage: Studies have shown that the blue light emitted from screens may cause damage to the light-sensitive cells in the retina, which can lead to vision loss. But this is not proved by any scientific research.
Reducing screentime and taking precautions can play a crucial role in dissuading the side effects. The less time you spend looking at a screen, the more protection your eyes receive. Along with eye health-related issues, studies prove that excess screen time has an adverse effect on sleep timing and quality. The blue light emitted has the ability to alter the natural circadian rhythm. As a result, our sleep patterns are disturbed and lack of sleep causes dry, itchy, and bloodshot eyes, making them prone to various infections.
Some Tips to Avoid the Detrimental Effects of Screen on Eyes
Following are some steps that aid in reducing the effects of screen time and, in turn, keeping your eyes in good health:
- Alteration of Lighting: Most screens have the option of adjusting the display light. To ensure good eye health, you need to keep the lighting in balance with your surroundings. Screens brighter than the surrounding lights strain your eyes.
- Take Frequent Breaks: There is a 20-20-20 rule set in place to aid you in taking frequent breaks from staring at a screen. It is advised to stare at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes of staring at a screen. This practice helps relax your eyes.
- Lubricate your Eyes: Staring at a screen for too long without blinking can dry your eyes out. To avoid this, you should consider lubricating your eyes frequently with eye drops.
- Keep Your Distance: The screen should be kept at arm’s length or about 25 inches away from the face. This helps ensure that the eyes do not strain and are able to observe easily.
- Position Your Phone Correctly: It is necessary to ensure that the screen is positioned in such a way that there is no pressure on the eyes and the glare of the screen is kept off the face.
- Annual Eye Checkups: You should get regular eye exams so that your doctor can make sure that your eyes are in good health and no eye issues are developing.
- Utilize Light Filters: Blue light filters have the ability to reduce the blue light emitted from your screen. Using blue light filters either on your screens or on your eyeglasses will protect your eyes from these harmful rays.
To keep your eyes healthy, reduction of screentime is the most vital step. Research shows that people spending too much time staring at their phone screen puts them at a higher risk for depression. Studies show that aside from work, we should limit screen time to not more than 2 hours a day. We should incline the rest of our time to physical activities in order to keep us healthy.
If we take all the necessary precautions, the side effects of excess screen time can be easily avoided. If not utilized properly, the issues related to excess exposure to screen time appear with more vigor. Furthermore, if the above given solutions are not helpful, there may be more serious problems behind your issues. In this case, you must consult your doctor and go through the treatment. Screen time affects the eyes to a great extent, and if we take the proper precautions, then there will be minimal side effects.
Therefore, we should limit screen time to less than 2 hours a day of leisure use. This helps to ensure that your eyes remain healthy and your eyesight does not worsen. Make sure that you utilize the 20/20/20 rule as much as possible to make certain that the eyes have sufficient breaks from the screen and refresh frequently. This helps keep your eyes focused and keeps the moisture intact.