Skip to content
Home » Chance The Rapper » Syracuse Mets blow late lead in series-opening loss to Buffalo, 4-3

Syracuse Mets blow late lead in series-opening loss to Buffalo, 4-3

The Syracuse Mets surrendered a late lead to drop the series opener to the Buffalo Bisons, 4-3, while also losing their 13th straight game on Wednesday night at NBT Bank Stadium.

Buffalo (23-18) struck first with a run in the top of the second inning. Cullen Large led off with an infield single off Mets starter Akeem Bostick, and then Tyler White was hit by a pitch. With two men on and no one out, Richard Ureña struck out. Juan Graterol then popped out to second base for the second out. Logan Warmoth followed, drawing a walk to load the bases. Nash Knight then proceeded to draw a walk of his own to bring home Large and make it 1-0 Bisons. Bostick then forced a pop out from Breyvic Valera to end the inning.

Akeem Bostick’s day ended after the third inning. The 26-year-old right-hander allowed one run on one hit, walking two and striking out two.

Syracuse (11-31) got on the board in the bottom of the third. In his first Triple-A at-bat, Matt Winaker ripped a one-out double down the right-field line. The 25-year-old was called up from Double-A Binghamton on June 22nd. Brandon Nimmo and Khalil Lee then drew back-to-back walks to load the bases with one-out. Brandon Drurry followed and hit a pop up into shallow right-center field. The second baseman Richard Ureña tracked back but couldn’t make the catch as the ball went off his glove. Center fielder Logan Warmoth immediately picked up the ball and threw it to second base for the force out, but Winaker came home to score as the tying run to make it a 1-1 game. Travis Blankenhorn then stepped in and delivered with an RBI single to score Nimmo from third base and give Syracuse a 2-1 lead. Blankenhorn now has 13 RBIs in six games with the Mets.

The game didn’t see another run score until the sixth, where White got the inning started with a leadoff double. Ureña then flew out to center field, but White tagged up and advanced to third on the play. Graterol followed and hit sacrifice fly out to center to score White and tie the game, 2-2.

Syracuse answered in the bottom of the sixth. Blankenhorn led off the inning with a walk. After Orlando Calixte flew out, Blankenhorn stole second. Wilfredo Tovar then grounded out, but Blankenhorn advanced to third on the play. With Martin Cervenka batting, a wild pitch from Bisons pitcher T.J. Zeuch allowed Blankenhorn to score, giving Syracuse back the lead, 3-2.

Major League rehabber Dellin Betances made his Syracuse debut in the seventh. After allowing two straight hits to begin the inning, the four-time All-Star struck out Kevin Smith and then forced a double play ball from Large to finish with a scoreless inning.

The eighth inning proved to be costly for Syracuse. Stephen Nogosek came out of the bullpen and gave up a game-tying solo home run to Ureña. Later, with two outs and no one on, Warmoth hit a double into left field. The next batter, Nash Knight, connected on a go-ahead RBI single to score Warmoth and give Buffalo the lead, 4-3.

With the Bisons still clinging to a one-run lead going into the bottom of the ninth, Buffalo sent out Hobie Harris, who got the save after striking out Drew Ferguson to end the game as the Bisons won, 4-3.

Syracuse and Buffalo return to NBT Bank Stadium on Thursday evening for a doubleheader, which is taking place because Tuesday’s contest was postponed. The first game is set to begin at 5:05 p.m. Game two will start approximately 40 minutes after the conclusion of game one. NBT Bank Stadium gates will open to fans at 4:30 p.m.