Get the wrong bill after traveling the Thruway? Disputing it is easy

Since last fall the New York State Thruway has been cashless.

If you have an E-ZPass your credit or debit card has likely been getting charged since the changeover. If you don’t- then you’ve likely been receiving a bill in the mail periodically.

News10NBC recently featured a ‘good question’ on a set of circumstances that some have reported. What happens if you get a toll in the mail that isn’t yours? In one viewer’s experience- a license plate reader mixup caused a $3.54 bill to be sent to him- instead of the actual owner.

Officials say the answer is simple: Call and dispute it. Incorrect bills can also be disputed by mail.

The number to do this is 518-471-5300.

E-ZPass billing issues can also be disputed in the same manner.

There’s also a form on the Thruway Authority website. “Wrong license plate,” is one of the reasons that can be checked off. However, if more explanation is necessary- there’s space for it.

Want the latest headlines in your inbox each morning? Click here to sign up for our Morning Edition and Sunday Insight newsletters. They are dedicated to keeping you in the know. You can also download the App for Android (All Android Devices) or iOS (iPhone, iPad)
Support Local Journalism