Firefighters in Avon are investigating a fatal fire that was reported on Lake Road during the overnight hours.
First responders confirmed to 13WHAM-TV that the fire was fatal, but no other information was immediately available.
Crews had been called to the report of a person trapped in a basement fire.
“It was not a very large fire, but basement fires can be very difficult for our crews. They’re very dangerous,” East Avon Fire Chief Chris Batzel told 13WHAM. “When you’re going downstairs it’s basically like a chimney that’s venting back up at them and to try to effect a rescue in that type of environment makes it even worse.”
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]