What’s the latest on COVID-19 cases in the Finger Lakes and Central New York? Follow along here as we publish situational updates shared by health officials for Tuesday, December 29th.
– Cayuga County reported 87 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday. It brought the total number of active cases there to 756. There were 4,588 individuals in mandatory quarantine. The county reported seven total new deaths connected to the virus, including three nursing home residents, as well as three from the community. One of the deaths was a county resident who passed away in mid-November, but was hospitalized outside Cayuga County.
– Ontario County reported 87 new cases. Many cases are related current positives, school age children, household contacts, social gathering attendees, one reinfection, assisted living congregant care, community cases and several unknown exposures, according to health officials. There were 40 residents in the hospital, and 56 total deaths. The number of active cases sits at 708, with 742 in mandatory quarantine.
– Schuyler County reported five new cases. Officials said three of the cases had known contact with individuals who previously tested positive. There were a total of 60 active cases as of Tuesday with four people hospitalized and 10 deaths. There were 206 in quarantine.
– Seneca County reported 29 new cases on Tuesday. They reported five new deaths as well. It brings the total number of active cases to 157. There were 609 people in quarantine, along with 12 people hospitalized. The five new deaths on Tuesday brought the total number connected to COVID-19 to 35.
– Steuben County reported 93 new cases on Tuesday. It brought the total number of active cases to 601. There were 41 active hospitalizations and 138 deaths reported to date.
– Wayne County reported 78 new cases on Tuesday, bringing the total number of active to 449. There were 34 cases requiring hospitalization and 26 total deaths. One new death had been reported since Monday. There were 58 cases active in nursing homes, according to officials, who say that there had been a total of 2,190 cases from the start of the pandemic.
– Yates County reported 17 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday. Nine of the new cases are close contacts of previous positive cases and one case is a Penn Yan Central School District student. They had six cases recover. At this point there are six hospitalizations and nine total deaths. There are 340 people in quarantine.
Editor’s Note: As counties release their Tuesday reports we will publish them here. Stay tuned throughout the day.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].