A pair of teenagers escaped injury after a house fire on Rockwell Street in Hornell.
It happened on Tuesday around 7 a.m. Unfortunately, the family’s pet dog died in the fire.
Officials said four people lived in the home along with three dogs. The fire started early in the morning, and the two teens who escaped were the ones that alerted authorities.
“All the occupants got out. They were rounding up the dogs,” Hornell Fire Chief Frank Brzozowki told The Evening Tribune. “They managed to get two of the dogs out, one of the dogs didn’t get out. One of the dogs died in the fire.”
The first-floor utility room and dining room sustained the heaviest fire damage. The house was deemed uninhabitable.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].