You’d think that the Syracuse Orange would look better after having a bye week to prepare for a Louisville Cardinals team that was equally struggling.
Boy, was that far from the case.
The Orange offense looked anemic as the Cardinals won 30-0 under the lights in Louisville on Friday. Syracuse was shut out for the first time since 2016 when the Orange lost to Clemson 54-0.
GAME RECAP LINKS:
- Syracuse football held scoreless by Louisville in ugly loss (NunesMagician.com)
- Syracuse shutout for 1st time since 2016 in 30-0 loss to Louisville (DailyOrange.com)
- Louisville Tops ‘Cuse (Cuse.com)
DINO BABERS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE:
Final from Louisville pic.twitter.com/VwzfCEF0U9
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) November 21, 2020
Syracuse football falls on the road to Louisville, 30-0. An awful performance. The Orange had 137 total yards of offense, three turnovers and about 18 minutes possessing the football. Now 1-8, SU is at home versus N.C. State next Saturday. Thoughts on the game?
— InsideTheLoudHouse (@LoudHouseFS) November 21, 2020
The Orange will hit the road for the first time in nearly a month when they travel to Louisville for a Friday-night showdown on ESPN.
In a season where the youngest members of the Syracuse team have been thrust into important roles, the defense showed marked improvement in the Orange’s last outing against Boston College. With a program record five freshmen starting on defense last week, the unit held BC to under 20 points in a 16-13 loss. ‘Cuse will have its hands full again with an explosive Louisville squad on Friday night.
Louisville enters Friday’s game 2-6 overall and on a two-game losing streak, most recently losing 31-17 at Virginia on Saturday. The Cardinals rushed for 317 yards averaging 8.1 yards per attempt in the loss.
The young Orange squad has gotten more experience as the season presses on with 15 different players earning the first start of their career. Quarterback JaCobian Morgan became the first true freshman to start as quarterback for Syracuse since 2015 and completed 19-of-30 passes for 188 yards and a touchdown.
Kickoff is slated or 7 p.m. on ESPN Friday night.
GAME WEEK LINKS:
- ORANGE HEAD TO LOUISVILLE FOR PRIME TIME (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse football releases depth chart for Friday’s Louisville game (NunesMagician.com)
- College football odds: Syracuse again a double-digit underdog against Louisville (Syracuse.com)
- Babers: No COVID-19 cases in football program ahead of Louisville game (DailyOrange.com)
- Syracuse football has chance to move out of ACC basement vs. Louisville (InsideTheLoudHouse.com)
- Syracuse vs. Louisville: Four things to watch for (NunesMagician.com)
- ORANGE HEAD TO LOUISVILLE FOR FRIDAY NIGHT SHOWDOWN (Cuse.com)
DINO BABERS PRESS CONFERENCE:
GAME WEEK MEDIA:
Back after the bye.
Hitting the road to Louisville for a Friday night matchup on @espn pic.twitter.com/IYsYCWr8CY
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) November 16, 2020
Friday night under the lights. pic.twitter.com/hSEWR2agzw
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) November 19, 2020
Kyle leads sports coverage and hosts the Concrete Jungle podcast. Have a lead or question? Send it to [email protected].