On Thursday, Schuyler County Public Health received notification that two residents at Schuyler Hospital’s Seneca View Skilled Nursing Facility in Montour Falls tested positive for COVID-19 after being screened due to an employee testing positive on the nursing unit.
Schuyler County Public Health, Schuyler Hospital, and the New York State Department of Health are collaborating to ensure all close contacts are identified and placed in quarantine.
One of the residents is not currently experiencing any noticeable symptoms of COVID-19 and seems to be doing well. This individual has been isolated from other Seneca View residents. The second resident is experiencing symptoms and has been transferred to Cayuga Medical Center as a precautionary measure. The entire unit has been placed in quarantine and residents and staff in that unit will be retested frequently to ensure any additional individuals who test positive or develop symptoms can be immediately separated from other residents. Retesting will occur until the facility goes 14 days without any new positive cases.
“It’s important we all continue to exercise caution, especially with COVID-19 cases rising in the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes regions,” stated Deborah Minor, Schuyler County Public Health Director. “Please consider shrinking your social bubble by limiting how many different people you are interacting with. This virus mostly spreads from person-to-person between people who are in close contact for an extended period of time, especially indoors.”
Schuyler County Public Health provided the following tips to stop the spread of COVID-19:
- Wear a mask when out in public places or when spending time with people you don’t live with.
- Social distance by keeping at least six feet between yourself and people who aren’t members of your household.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially when you get home after being in public.
- Get tested for COVID-19, especially if you have symptoms or were in close contact with someone who tested positive. To find testing locations, visit: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you.
- Stay home if you are sick – even if your illness is mild.
- Shrink your social bubble by limiting how many different people you are interacting with. Community spread of the virus is occurring in the Southern Tier with cases rising rapidly in many counties in the region.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]