The Bills hosted their dress rehearsal scrimmage on Thursday. Without preseason games, it was meant to be as game-like as possible so new players could see how head coach Sean McDermott and his staff approach the logistics of a game. The team played two quarters, had halftime and wrapped up after two series were played in the third quarter. The white team won the scrimmage 27 to 3.
Lots of notes, lots of positives—here’s what you need to know from the scrimmage.
1. Josh Allen throws for two touchdowns, rushes for one
GOLD STARS ON OFFENSE:
QB Josh Allen
- Allen finished the day with two passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown and an interception. From my count, he completed 33 of 45 passes with a completion rate of 73 percent. Let me add, it was quite windy in Bills Stadium today. Allen had quite a successful day connecting with new and old weapons.
- His rushing touchdown came on the first drive and was a part of a monstrous 16-play drive. On that drive, the offense produced six first downs. Allen converted a fourth-and-three with a completion to John Brown.
- His second drive was nine plays and resulted in a rushing touchdown from rookie running back Zack Moss. On that drive Brown had three completions, all for first downs.
- Allen’s third drive was the shortest, lasting four plays for a touchdown reception from Devin Singletary. Rookie wide receiver Gabriel Davis had an impressive catch for around a 30-yard gain.
- Safety Siran Neal intercepted Allen on his fourth drive by picking off a pass intended for Davis. Moss shined on that drive starting it off with an eight-yard gain. Two plays after, Moss had the angriest run of the day plowing through the defense and getting to the second level and knocking over Dean Marlowe for a first down.
- Allen’s fifth and final drive of the second quarter resulted in a punt after being sacked by defensive end Mike Love. Receiver Cole Beasley racked up three completions, one for a first down during the drive.
- There were only two series played in the third quarter. Allen finished his day with a touchdown pass to Andre Roberts. The sixth drive went 13 plays, and Allen was nine of 11. The drive ended with three-straight completions to Andre Roberts, the last being his touchdown reception. Tight end Dawson Knox had a reception for a first down, and Brown had two catches that went for first downs on the drive.