Skip to content
Home » Sports » Professional » New York Mets » Mets suffer back-to-back shutouts in doubleheader

Mets suffer back-to-back shutouts in doubleheader


Given the choice to start Jacob deGrom on full rest Tuesday coming off a five-day coronavirus hiatus, the Mets instead turned to veteran Rick Porcello. Although deGrom may have been the obvious pick, he wasn’t able to throw a bullpen session during the shutdown and the Mets wanted him to do so, then have a day of rest, before taking the mound.

So New York instead started Porcello in Game 1 of a doubleheader at Citi Field, watching as he gave up four runs in three innings before a 65-minute rain delay cut short his start — a fate that might have awaited deGrom, as well, had he started the game.

By that time, the damage was done in a 4-0 loss to the Marlins. Seth Lugo started Game 2 for the Mets, with deGrom scheduled to return to the mound on Wednesday.

Most of the damage against Porcello occurred in the second inning, when Lewis Brinson hit a two-out RBI single and Miguel Rojas followed with a two-run knock. An inning later, Brian Anderson — who had sparked the second-inning rally with a leadoff double — doubled again on a ball that center fielder Brandon Nimmo could not corral. Anderson later scored on Lewin Díaz’s RBI single.

The damage increased Porcello’s ERA to 6.43 in six starts. Although Corey Oswalt followed with four shutout innings of relief, the Mets never rallied against Marlins starter Daniel Castano and three Miami relievers.


“Next prospect up” has been a theme for the Marlins all season.

Trevor Rogers, the club’s No. 9 prospect, got his turn in Game 2 of Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Mets, and the 22-year-old showed plenty of promise in his Major League debut.

Rogers threw four shutout innings, and Brian Anderson delivered a two-run double in the fourth inning to lift the Marlins to a 3-0 victory over the Mets and a sweep of the twin bill at Citi Field.

The Marlins blanked the Mets in both games, and to cap the scoring in Game 2, Jon Berti stole home in the sixth inning — after also swiping second and third. The steal of home came as Berti moved in the direction of returning to third after Mets reliever Jeurys Familia delivered his pitch. But as catcher Ali Sánchez lobbed the throw back to the mound, Berti sprinted toward home and stole the base standing up.

Out of necessity, Rogers received his first big league promotion. The organization initially planned to be guarded with the towering 6-foot-6 left-hander out of New Mexico’s Carlsbad High School. But with three starters on the injured list — Sandy Alcantara, Caleb Smith and José Ureña — and the Marlins playing their second doubleheader in three days, Game 2 became Rogers’ turn to take the mound.