– Report & Photos by Greg Cotterill
A local family that lost their home to a massive fire in the village of Waterloo on Tuesday has had a fundraiser started.
“My family lost everything to a severe house fire this morning. They have lived in that house since we were kids,” Meghan Balch posted to GoFundMe. “The entire house is gone, and no animals survived. Anything helps to get my dad and mom back on their feet.”
The fire was reported at 53 Church Street. It started around 10 a.m., and heavy smoke and flames could be seen when firefighters arrived.
Afterward, all that remained was a charred outline of a home.
Five adults and three children were inside at the time, but all managed to escape. Their pets were not as lucky.
An explosion was reported in the neighborhood. First responders don’t know if the explosion caused the fire. It remains under investigation at this time.
First responders from Waterloo, Border City, Seneca Falls, and Fayette all responded. It was hours before the scene was cleared by first responders.
The Red Cross is helping the family with emergency housing and other needs. Balch said on GoFundMe that beyond monetary donations – the family is seeking clothing.
Photos below by Greg Cotterill: