On Sunday, state officials said the first case of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19 had been seen in New York.
The patient, was described as being in her late-30s. She had contracted the virus while traveling abroad in Iran. Officials said Sunday that she was isolating at home.
“The patient has respiratory symptoms, but is not in serious condition and has been in a controlled situation since arriving to New York,” Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a statement.
The positive test was confirmed by New York’s Wadsworth Lab in Albany. Cuomo say sit underscores the importance of the ability for New York State to ensure efficient and rapid turnaround.
“[This] is exactly why I advocated for the approval from Vice President Pence that New York was granted just yesterday,” Cuomo added. “There is no cause for surprise — this was expected. As I said from the beginning, it was a matter of when, not if there would be a positive case of novel coronavirus in New York.”
Last week, Governor Cuomo called for the legislature to pass a $40 million emergency management authorization to confront the situation.
“There is no reason for undue anxiety — the general risk remains low in New York. We are diligently managing this situation and will continue to provide information as it becomes available,” Cuomo added.